March 1, 2013
Most of us are fortunate to have a roof over our heads, food to eat and clothes to wear. How can we use what we have to live a greener life? Here are a few simple ideas to reuse or repurpose items you may have around your home into greener solutions.
- Use a length of rope to set up a clothesline and save on the expense of drying clothes, especially in the summertime.
- Dig up part of your lawn and create a vegetable garden. Growing your own food is fun and educational for the whole family. Kids love
to eat what they’ve grown.
- To avoid heat gain in the summertime, repurpose old sheets into outdoor blinds to stop the sun before it hits the glass. Up to 25% of your air-conditioning is lost to this heat gain.
- Turn off the TV, computer or video games and bring out the board games. Better yet, make up your own game. Create a unique obstacle course filled with creative tasks to engage mind and body.
- Do you open your fridge or freezer and complain there’s nothing to eat? We routinely waste food because we don’t take the time to prepare it. Challenge yourself to see how long you can go without going grocery shopping or out to eat — you might surprise yourself!